History of AGUILAS
In November of 1991, a group of Gay Latinos organized to address the various needs of the Gay Latino community. The group met on a monthly basis at various homes until they found a regular meeting place at the St. Francis Lutheran Church in San Francisco, California on March of 1992.They established the name AGUILAS which is an acronym for Asamblea Gay Unida Impactando Latinos A Superarse, which translates to Assembly of United Gays Impacting Latinos towards Self-Empowerment. Today, AGUILAS is a non-profit organization and the largest Gay Latino Organization in the San Francisco Bay Area.
About El Ambiente
El Ambiente is an HIV prevention program of AGUILAS created by and for gay and bisexual Latino men. Our goal is to support our members’ self-empowerment in order to prevent the occurrence and relapse of unsafe sexual practices. We achieve this by providing a safe environment, specifically designed to address issues related to Latino culture, being gay and bisexual, and sexuality. Our activities are friendly, interactive, and educational.
The Board Structure
AGUILAS has a Board of Directors who oversees the non-profit corporation. Within the Board there are various committees such as fundraising, community building, HIV prevention, program, and finance. Chairs of the committees are members of the Board.
Gregory Rojas, M.P.H, Chair
Steve Ibarra, At Large
Leonardo Gonzalez, At Large
Michael Rodriguez, Fundrasing Chair
Jaime Hernandez, At Large
Eugene Dilan, Psy.D
Erasmo Pacheco Esq.
Eduardo Morales, Ph.D, Executive Director / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rudy López, Administrative Assistant / email@example.com
Norma Azucar, Promotor/HIV Testing
Jorge Sanchez, Data Specialist
Paulo Rebello M.A. Counselor / firstname.lastname@example.org
Eliseo Amezcua M.A. Counselor / email@example.com
AGUILAS has a cadre of consultants many whom are professional experts to assist in its program activities. These include:
Group Facilitators: Professional licensed or licensed eligible clinicians or recognized, professional experts in the field for the topic they are presenting.
Group Co-Facilitators: Individuals who are peers of participants and assist in facilitating groups with the Group Facilitator.
Outreach Workers: Individuals who assist the staff during outreach events to engage Latino gay/bisexual men in knowing AGUILAS and participate in AGUILAS program activities.
Technical Experts: Individuals who provide technical assistance for the operations of the agency such as computers technicians, programmers, accountants, bookkeepers, organizational consultants, researchers, statisticians, media experts and other similar experts.
Awards and Proclamations
- AGUILAS Day Proclamation November 15, 2009
- Latino Heritage Month, Education Award, SF Mayor Gavin Newsom October 14, 2009
- Latino Heritage Month, Education Award, Senator Mark Leno, October 14, 2009
- Latino Heritage Month, Education Award, Jose Cisneros, SF Treasurer, October 14, 2009
- Por Vida Award Recognition 2003
- AGUILAS Day Proclamation, SF Mayor Willie Brown Jr., October 11, 1997
- AGUILAS Day Proclamation, SF Mayor Willie Brown Jr., July 22, 1996
- Award for Excellence/ Coalition of Color, Bob Cramer, 1995
- AGUILAS Day Proclamation, SF Mayor Frank Jordon, March 16, 1994
Commendations and Honors
- Certificate of Honor, SF Board of Supervisors, Supervisor David Campos, October 14, 2009
- Certificate of Honor, SF Board of Supervisors, Supervisor Eric Mar, October 14, 2009
- Certificate of Honor, SF Board of Supervisor, Supervisor John Avalos, October 14, 2009
- Resolution from the State Board of Equalization, Betty Yee, Chairwomen, 1st District
- Recognition of LGBTQ Pride Month, Treasurer Susan Leal, June 24, 2003
- Certificate of Recognition, Carole Migden, State of Calif., November 28, 2000
- Certificate of Honor, Mark Leno, SF Board of Supervisor November 28, 2000
- Certificate of Honor, Tom Ammiano, SF Board of Supervisor, November 18, 2000
- Certificate of Recognition, Kevin Shelly, State of Calif., November 19, 1998
- Certificate of Honor, Mark Leno, SF Board of Supervisor, November 1998
- Certificate of Honor, SF Supervisor Susan Leal, April 26, 1997
- Certificate of Recognition, Richard Sevilla Award 1997
- Certificate of Recognition, Assemblywoman Carole Migden, October 1997
AGUILAS is funded by the City and County of San Francisco.
Partial funding by (REAF) Richard Ermet Aids Foundation
Our Town San Francisco OURTownsf.org